Friday, January 24, 2014

How to Live to 100




I'd like to thank everyone who has been so supportive of the show I co-wrote for The Cooking Channel.  The final episode of Season One is tonight, and we're very hopeful that there will be a Season Two in the near future.

How to Live to 100 is the brainchild of vegan chef Jason Wrobel and the creative minds at Crazy Legs Productions (Tom Cappelo, Alana Goldstein, Wendy Quinn, Allison Troxell, and others).  I met Allison years ago on a couple of corporate projects and we became fast friends.  So, when Crazy Legs reached out to ask me and Steve Coulter to help with this project - positioned as a part sitcom/part plant based cooking show, I was all in.

The show leverages Jason's contagious energy to get viewers enthused about the possibility of adding more plant-based recipes into their lives.  While I am sure J-Wro would love to see the world go vegan, the approach is a soft sell, which I think is smart.  Get people to incorporate more vegan meals into their regiment, discover how easy and delicious it can be, how varied the meals are, and eventually, you have made a bit of a lifestyle change.  Who knows where you go from there...

As for where WE go from here, we've tackled four superfoods in the first four episodes.  There are plenty more out there.  We've had a lot of fun mixing some fast-paced comedy vignettes with Jason's tips, recipes, and visits to local renowned chefs.  Now we wait and see.  The response, thus far, has been hugely positive and supportive.

From a personal perspective, having spent the past twenty years writing scripts for corporate videos, live events, speeches, etc, it's very gratifying to finally have something that I can share with family and friends.  There's a misconception - and I experienced this during fifteen years as a working actor - that if your work isn't being seen in public, you must not be working.  So, if I didn't have a commercial on the air, I must be destitute.  And if I did have a commercial running, I must be rich.  Neither was true.  My actor friends are assuredly nodding and laughing at this right now.

Likewise, having a four-episode series on a cable channel doesn't mean that I have given up on my bread and butter of writing training videos, comedy scripts for corporations, awards shows, speeches, and the like.  Far from it.  It just means that I can add "television writer" to my resume, and I can do so with a show that I'm proud to be associated with, promoting a healthy lifestyle through recipes that are astonishingly delicious and a vehicle that allows for some playful humor to shine through amid all the information and ingredients.

With any luck, we'll be back soon to offer up more foods that can help us all live healthily until 100.  Until then, thanks for rooting for us, for tuning in, and for laughing in all the right places.






No comments: